Re: Scanner selection

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Michael Keller wrote:

> I use a Polaroid Sprintscan Plus at work, it has a ppi of 2700 (means your 1"x1.5"
> slide or neg has a pixel dimension of 2700x4000, good enough for full bleed
> magazine cover on press), and a density range of 3.4. On the previous Nikon
> Coolscans, Nikon wouldn't publish the D range. The SSPlus is now running under
> $1500 in catalogs, Nikon has a newer scanner that is a little better than the
> Polaroid now. But it's unlikely the Olympus has specs like these.

Michael, you are so right... I have seen the light. Thanks to all.

The other thing I've learned in the last several weeks of printing out
color separations on the laser, and I just mention this in passing -- is
that a small file to be color separated takes much more memory, numbs the
printer, more than a much larger file printed in straight black.

That's a digression on this thread, of course, but it comes to mind as
another one of those surprises to the uninitiated. A slide opened at 72
dpi, making a file size of less than a megabyte, still exceeded printer
memory when I color separated from pagemaker. Dots like golf balls. One
scanned in at 600 dpi in b&w, total file size about 5 megabytes, printed
out perfectly, looking almost continuous tone.

cheers,

Judy