Re: Pyro redevelopment

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:11:43 -0400

>Hang on a minute, chaps, we're all missing something here: of course
>bleaching a straight neg and redeveloping in PMK will intensify! A good PMK
>neg tends to be thinner than an ordinary neg, but its overall density is
>determined much less by the developer than the development time; allowed
>enough time to act, it will develop all silver that is developable. With a
>bleached neg, it will therefore redevelop all of the original silver within
>10, 15 minutes or whatever, AND add its stain to it. Result? An
>intensified neg!

Absolutely. However, I am interested to see what results you get bleaching
a *reversal* negative and then re-developing. If your results indicate the
possiblity of significantly increasing the contrast of such negatives then
I will have to re-think my previously expressed premise.

>This still doesn't explain Sandy's results. As a matter of interest, Sandy,
>why is there bromide in your bleach?

Quite frankly I don't know exactly what the bromide does but it is
recommended in the formula of several super proportional reducers that I
have on hand. I am going to assume that its primary function is to restrain
the heavier silver deposits and reduce overall density, but this is only
speculation.

Sandy King