Re: Pyro redevelopment

Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:05:34 -0400

Liam Lawless wrote:

>I have no idea why my results are at variance with Sandy's, especially since
>the bleach he used is essentially a chromiun intensifier with bromide added.
>But, a question: does development really continue for as long as 20 minutes,
>or is it only staining that increases after a certain point? As stated
>above, my APH was redeveloped 15 minutes, and to be sure that it was fully
>developed after this time I fixed only half the sheet at first. No
>difference between fixed and unfixed halves.

Hi Liam,

In looking at the variance in our results the significant difference lies
in the fact that I was working with step wedges that were first developed
by the reversal process, while you, I think, bleached an Agfa step wedge
which I presume had been developed as a regular negative. Having done a
fair amount of work in the past with this particular bleach I know for a
fact that with normal negatives it is possible to change the contrast quite
a bit in both directions (as your tests indicate), depending on how long
development continues. On the other hand, my work with this step of step
wedges and other negatives developed via the reversal process suggests that
you can not significantly increase the contrast of such negatives, though
it is possible to decrease it.

Sandy King