Re: Re: RGB vs CMYK for gum

Smieglitz@aol.com
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:46:37 -0500 (EST)

<< there was an excellent
>article on making digital separations for color gum printing in Photo
>Techniques several years ago, 1995 or 1996, and I don't remember the
>guy's name, but he does his color separations exactly the way I do,

Katharine,

I do understand the basics of this inversion, and have made a crude
attempt several months ago, but if you run across a more specific
reference to the article it would be greatly appreciated.

Garet Denise>>

Garet,

I believe Katherine is referring to Phil Davis' two-part article in Photo
Techniques several years ago. These articles appeared in the first two issues
after the magazine adopted this new name, although I don't have the reference
numbers handy (volume1, issues 1 and 2 perhaps???).

I've been asked so many times in the past how I was making separation
negatives that I illustrated the technique on a web page. The method is based
on Phil Davis' technique almost wholly except I register the negatives
differently and output to an inkjet instead of a laser printer. Otherwise,
the method is from Phil who I might add was very helpful in answering some
questions for me about gum printing a few years ago. Phil has some excellent
examples in the magazine articles and the issues are worth digging up solely
for the pictures. (As I recall, list member Sam Wang also was featured in one
of those issues with some kewl casein bichromate prints as well.) If you
can't find the articles, here's the URL for the web page I put up:

http://members.aol.com/gumbycro3/digneg/RGBCMYK.html

I really don't care to get flamed or get into the debate on RGB/CMY/CMYK but
will note that Davis' method is practical and has worked for me. It is
useful, it works, etc., regardless whether it produces accurate color. But,
we would be making C-prints or Ilfochromes if we were after mere/more accurate
color reproduction, wouldn't we? You can see a couple examples of the results
on my gum bichromate webpage, URL:

http://members.aol.com/hbellmerjr/JSgum.html

Joe