Re: tri-x and bpf 200

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:32:57 -0800

Subject: Re: tri-x and bpf 200

>The problem most people have with alt processes is getting enough density
>range (the difference between the shadows and highlights). This is
>controlled by developing. I do use HP-5 and HC-110. HP-5 is the most
>available 11x14 camera film around my area. Why doesnt Kodak make 11x14
>T-max 400........
>
>I can get "normal" (for me) platinum negs at 30ml of pure concentrate per
>liter of developer at 70 degree F for 10 minutes in a tray. That is for a
>scene stretching from zone 2 to zone 8. I THINK that is about double
>Illford's recommended time?? If I need an expansion, I find much better
>results increasing the dilution of the developer and the time, rather than
>just increasing time. For a plus one I would use 50ml per liter of
>d:eveloper (instead of 30) and 12 minutes (instead of 10).
>
>Hope that helps
>Tom
>
>tomf2468@pipeline.com
>http://www.thefstop.com/tf.html

Well, that's what I'm doing, except my times double at 68 degrees and I
stick to the 1:15 of the Edwall as suggested.

I shoot filtered at N+ one, which is specifically two stops over exposed,
with one as a filter factor; and develop N+ two to obtain a negative in the
1.65 to 1.95 range that prints long and with time for manipulation under the
light for silver; and for Pt ... gee, I don't know, yet. But I get the
numbers.

A great comment Anchell makes in his DR Cookbook is: The old masters
substitution for patience in their development by inspection cannot be found
in any of the filmdevelopingformulas. (I may have paraphrased.)

Steve