Re: tri-x and bpf 200

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:29:31 -0500

CARFAC Saskatchewan wrote:

> Carl, Steve,et al
>

> I am using HP4 in 8x20 format, and HP5 in 5x7, and am having
> difficulty getting enough density to print properly with PT or PD.
>
> I use spot and incident meters, and have tried exposing as low as EI
> 50. I tray develop, one shot, using HC110 or Ilfotec HC, but have
> recently tried D-76 and Rodinal, for up to 150% but still no luck.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Patrick Close

FP4+ should easily reach Pt/Pd print contrast levels in standard
developers, but you'll need to rate it no higher than ei 32. If you
switch to a pyro developer (PMK or rollo) you should get a little more
speed and plenty of contrast. HP5+ will deliver negatives at the low end
of platinum range at ei 320 with energetic development--like ten minutes
in HC110 at _twice_ the normal B-dilution strength. It responds very
well to PMK pyro at around 15 minutes, 70 degrees in a tray. For rotary,
rollo at 1:2:50 dilution (again stronger than "normal") works, also at
around ten minutes.

Remember that to get good negatives for platinum the goal is not
DENSITY, but DENSITY-RANGE. If the whole negative is dense, you aren't
getting anywhere. What you want is more "distance" between the thinnest
and heaviest density than would be correct for silver printing.

---Carl