Stains on 10x8 negatives

peter.mcdonald@afp.gov.au
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 17:17:40 +1000

Dear list:

I am developing my 10x8 Plus-X negatives in PMK in a Jobo CPE, using the print
drum and doing two negatives at once.

Process:

Temp is 20 degrees Celsius,
rotation as per Jobo,
plain water wash for 5 minutes,
500ml of developer solution for 11 minutes,
500 mlplain water wash for 1 minute,
500 ml Hypam 1:4 for 3 minutes,
used PMK for 2 minutes,
500 ml plain water rinse in Jobo for 1 minute,
then 20 minute wash and 30 second dunk in Photoflo.

The negative density and pyro stain are everything that I should expect. What I
was not expecting, and occurs on every negative I have developed in this manner,
is a series of pale blue to bright blue reasonably circular stains (not less
than four, not more than ten), running vertically on one side of the negative
(occasionally both sides) and varying in size fom around 2 cms to 0.5 cms. They
are appearing at varying spacings from the negative edge.

I don't have a darkroom suitable for tray development, and the Jobo CPE doesn't
handle the Expert drum.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this?

Thanks

Peter McDonald
Canberra, Australia.