Re: Tween 20 versus Triton X-100

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:55:55 -0700

Christian,

Triton - 100 as best I can determine is a form of polyethylene glycol and Merck Index says it is a non-ionic detergent, dispersing agent and emulsifier.

Tween 20 according to our own Sil Horwitz is (pay attention, there will be a quiz later!) sorbitan mono-9-octadecenoate poly(oxy-1,1-ethanediyl) or Polysorbate for short. Merck says it is an emulsifier and dispersing agent for internal medicines. They sound similar and I am intrigued by the idea of Triton x-100 as there are quite a few problems associated with the use of Tween. One is that it grows mold after a while. I'd like to find a good substitute for Tween.

Perhaps Sil H. can jump in, this is his field of expertise.

--Dick Sullivan

At 03:17 PM 1/27/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how to use Triton X-100 for paper coating in the pt/pd
>process? Is it similar to Tween 20? Do I have to worry about cross reactions
>between the other chemicals used in the pt/pd process?
>

>Thank you very much for your help in advance
>

>Christian Wolf
>Vienna / Austria

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com