Re: RGB vs CMYK for gum

Jadlupp@aol.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:03:16 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 1/24/99 12:58:18 PM EST, jseigel@panix.com writes:

<<
 Meanwhile, PS to Kathy: As I was taught watercolor, adding white was a
 no-no. You were supposed to simply dilute the color to get it lighter. By
 the definition of those days (admittedly obsolete in everything else),
 when you added white you got tempera. Certainly the character changed &
 the paint lost transparency. >>

As you (Judy) know, my wife is a watercolorist, and has been for over 30
years. As a signature member of two transparent watercolor societies, white is
NEVER added (as you say, it is no longer pure transparent color). The only
black she has heard of used is the Rowney Paines Gray. She never uses black,
always mixes just the three primaries (RGB) to get black.

<< But if you've found a black watercolor to apply without disaster, oh
 please to share that info. I've tried 8 or more -- best of the bad lot was
 Rowney Ivory Black. But any further light, so to speak, you can shed on
 the matter would be much appreciated. >>

Many watercolorists add white or black, but they cannot enter work in shows
that restrict to transparent watercolor. Added white or black is classified
as "mixed media" in those organizations. Right or wrong, those are the rules.

Don

PS- By the way, Judy,Jan has 192 of her 366 millennium paintings done, has a
"sneak preview" show hanging through February, and has six of the 12 YTK shows
lined up. Progress is occurring.

Don