Re: RGB vs CMYK for gum

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:45:51 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 Jadlupp@aol.com wrote:
> Meanwhile, PS to Kathy: As I was taught watercolor, adding white was a
> no-no. You were supposed to simply dilute the color to get it lighter. By
> the definition of those days (admittedly obsolete in everything else),
> when you added white you got tempera. Certainly the character changed &
> the paint lost transparency. >>
>
> As you (Judy) know, my wife is a watercolorist, and has been for over 30
> years. As a signature member of two transparent watercolor societies, white is
> NEVER added (as you say, it is no longer pure transparent color). The only
> black she has heard of used is the Rowney Paines Gray. She never uses black,
> always mixes just the three primaries (RGB) to get black.

Ah, Don -- I love it. I just love those rules. And the one "black" I
didn't try in my search for "K" was Rowney Paines Gray... so I'm gonna.
Thank your wife for me. What I finally used was a mix of sumi ink and
Rowney ivory black for a black layer, but it was pathetic. (Same mix was
fine for a stand-alone line of black text, but the yellowish stain it left
added to the effect there, in fact sort of matched the tissue of a trial
collage.)

> Many watercolorists add white or black, but they cannot enter work in shows
> that restrict to transparent watercolor. Added white or black is classified
> as "mixed media" in those organizations. Right or wrong, those are the rules.

> PS- By the way, Judy,Jan has 192 of her 366 millennium paintings done, has a
> "sneak preview" show hanging through February, and has six of the 12 YTK shows
> lined up. Progress is occurring.

That's a fabulous project... she's going to be sad when it's over, I bet.
Tell her my favorite was the frog on the lily pad -- stunning. I've never
seen quite that effect in a watercolor.... But it sure looked like a lot
of *black* in there. I'm going to have to look again.

Thanks much for the info...

cheers,

Judy