Re: Matte or Glossy paper for Litho contact neg?

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 17:34:08 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Mac Legrandi wrote:

> I originally was thinking glossy. My teacher said "glossy paper has
> more levels of grey than matte"? I would have thought the same
> emulsion would capture the same levels?
>
> I'd go with the glossy paper, but I've read here about newton rings in
> film to film contacts. Perhaps the matte paper would prevent this, but
> I would hope I wouldn't loose levels of grey?

The question about Newton rings is moot -- if you're planning to use the
paper as interpositive, it would go on top of the lith, emulsion down; the
gloss wouldn't be in contact with the glass. -- J.