Re: Sad News

Luis Nadeau (nadeaul@nbnet.nb.ca)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:05:58 -0400

At 7:05 PM -0500 99/1/31, Judy Seigel wrote:

>The sad, very sad, news is, as noted yesterday, US culture & US media are
>so debased they spend all newsprint and airwaves obsessing about imperial
>sex. I was certain the obit would be in today's NY Times. It isn't.
>
>Meanwhile, here is "culture coverage" in our mass media:
>
>Newsweek, which used to have a section called The Arts, has changed that
>to "Arts & Entertainment." Need I say more? Well, I will. This week that
>section lists 2 articles -- Movies: Waiting for 'Star Wars', and Books:
>Three Pros Refurbish the Thriller.

>And lest our continental and overseas friends be less than heartsick at
>our disgrace -- smirk not, friends. You'll get there too. Not as bad
>maybe, but bad enough.
------

This is the very reason why countries outside the US have strong objections
to America's cultural dominance. The lowest common denominator, which you
just covered in part, is just too low for the taste of lawmakers in those
countries. As you said however, we'll get there too... not as bad, but bad
enough.

C'est la vie...

Luis Nadeau
NADEAUL@NBNET.NB.CA