Re: Lenses for ultra-large format: Was alt" question re:8x10 cameras

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:12:55 -0500

Sandy,

The 355mm G-Claron (intended primarily as a studio close-up lens) does a
great job of covering 12x20 with even a little bit of movement
available. Contrast and sharpness are quite smooth out to the corners,
and it turns up used with some frequency. I'm currently using one (only
borrowed unfortunately) on 7x17 where it's length is very pleasing and
it allows tons of camera adjustments. My own current ultra-large lens is
an old American Optical Co. Goertz Dagor, 16.5 inches, f/7.7. It covers
12x20 adequately by f/32 but with little room for adjustment. It
delivers simply gorgeous images with smoother tone than many modern
lenses and is particularly good at smooth transitions into out-of-focus
areas when total pan-focus isn't possible for a particular picture.
Large and very heavy though.---Carl