RE: Scanner selection

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:21 +0000 (GMT)

> CanoScan 2700 F:
>
> It's specifications:

I use one of these and would advise against it.

1. It gives too much noise - particularly noticeable in areas such as sky.
2. It is only 30 bit, and for negatives in particular a 36 bit scanner
would be preferable. It can't cope with more than the slight over exposure
in colour negs.
3. The scanning software is pretty primitive, even if you bother to hunt
out the updated version (I found it at Canon Switzerland, or in Japanese
on the main Canon site in Japan) rather than that described. It doesn't
really give enough control over the hardware. The compensation for film
types doesn't work too well either.

There is so much information about scanners on the web that it seems silly
to post any to this list - which is why I haven't done so previously. One
very useful web site for information is maintained by UK photographer Tony
Sleep http://www.halftone.co.uk and it has good comparisons of some of
the leading models.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/