Waxing/Oiling Paper Negatives

Henk Thijs (henk.thijs@eurocontrol.be)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:59:32 +0000

A bit late , but anyway; I used both the methods and I think it is necessary to
make some remarks concerning both methods:
- waxing a negative on Kentmere ArtDoc -a thin photographic paper-, the waxing
method by Judy worked perfect, a mess, yes, but the result was ok and until now
(some 8 month later) still the same condition as at that time,
- waxing a negative made on a Canon Color Copy machine (for me the ideal method
of creating negatives up to A3 from a simple positive, even color separation is
a push on a button and automatically 3 negs are produced, but that is another
story..) is a disaster, I did not created one acceptable result,
- so I tried oil, first all the oils I used myself , mineral oils, oils used
with bromoil, after Petes advice I used Sun flower oil; worked fine, but after
some time it dries out, and now I have a problem: Pete suggests to oil again. I
did, but it does not worked out like the first oiling, after the drying of the
first oiling, the paper does not accept the second oiling in an 'even' way.
So I do not wax or oil at all; clean negatives, no mess around, no wasted time,
just an increase of exposing time, from 1 minute up to 6 minutes for a Gum on
the bulbs of second hand tan machine.
Regards

Henk

--
  Henk    Thijs                 tel: +31-(0)43-3661249
  Eurocontrol Maastricht UAC    fax: +31-(0)43-3661300