Re: archival ink for deskjet

Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 17:50:56 -0500

> I agree, with the exception that many who wish to sell such output are
> doing so with a print replacement guarantee spanning a specified number of
> years. For this kind of arrangement, it matters greatly how long the inks
> last, as it will have tremendous impact on how much of their time and
> resources are spent replacing prints in a few years

-SNIP-
-SNIP-

> My photo CDs from two years ago
> are/were supposed to last decades, but I already have some unreadable files
> on disks which are pristine and properly stored.

First, I'd like to relate a story. I met Anne Tucker of the Houston Museum of
Art at Fotofest a few years ago. As I showed her my prints, I bemoaned the
need to find a more permanent medium and keep the "look" I wanted...I was
working digitally then (1996) and was going back to color negatives and making
color prints. I wished that I'd been able to afford IRIS prints, but I also
worried (aloud) about their longevity. This was before the Wilhelm reports on
IRIS prints and the Lyson inkset. Ms. Tucker replied, "...stop worry about the
longevity, that's our business...". What she meant, and explained, was they
have storage and preservation technology that addresses this issue. Think
about the color prints from the 70s. They make IRIS prints look downright
permanent.

I've tried to stop worrying, but it's not my nature <G>.

Also, Mitch, what are the specific errors or problems with these Photo CD
files. This is alarming.

thanks

Darryl