Re: Stains on 10x8 negatives

Kerik717@aol.com
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 03:03:55 -0500 (EST)

Peter wrote:

> was not expecting, and occurs on every negative I have developed in this
> manner, is a series of pale blue to bright blue reasonably circular stains
(not less
> than four, not more than ten), running vertically on one side of the
negative
> (occasionally both sides) and varying in size fom around 2 cms to 0.5 cms.

This sounds like the typical symptom of anti-halation dye remaining on the
back of the film because the neg is sticking to the inside of the drum (except
for the stains on the front - are you certain of this?) You can prevent these
by opening the drum during the presoak cycle (in the dark, of course) and
gently peeling the film away from the inside of the drum until you feel it
release completely. Once a little water gets behind the film, the
antihalation dye will wash away during pre-soak and development, and you
should have no stains. You should also be able to remove these stains easily
by "erasing" them with a cotton swap dipped in a "normal" developer like HC110
or D-76. If you do this "erasing" step, be sure to briefly re-fix the film
then wash and dry as usual.

If the stains really are on the emulsion side of the film, I don't know what's
going on...

Kerik.