Re: Waxing Paper Negatives

Peter Charles Fredrick (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:15:33 +0000

Nick,

>>Would you be inclined to elaborate on your processing of images as negatives
on your printer. Image sizes, file sizes, papers, software etc. I still
havn't decided what the best way to go is. I have run a digital print test
and am still not convinced.<<

I have found you do need a scanner / printer combination that will give up to
700dpi printed output .I am at the moment quite happy with an Epson 200
film scan linked to an Performa 475 and then onto a Epson Stylus
colour1520 ink jet printer. This printer will give me an image between A2
and A3 as large as I wont to go on this low quality end. For larger work or
higher quality I go via bureau image setting.

At the moment I am mainly using A4 format for teaching my students and we
scan in the image between 150dpi and 200dpi and print onto Tetenal spectra
jet duo print paper.

I also use Photoshop 4 software programme to enhance the image between
scanning and printing the negs The Photoshop programme will take the multi
coloured image and transform it into four monochromatic separations, but I
often use duotone , Posterisation,and Polychrome additive and subtractive
experimental technique to give none reproductive colour .

I hope this helps

Pete

http://www.fotem.demon.co.uk/ To visit petes parlour gallery, there is now a
Guestbook !