Hardening

Cor Breukel (cor@ruly46.medfac.leidenuniv.nl)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:43:07 +0100 (MET)

Dave and Liam:

Thanks for the clear answers regarding hardening of gelatine emulsions, I
think I understand the concept. Leaves me with one more question though.
I've got some bottles with Ilford Hypam rapid Hardener which I believe
contain Alum, which is Aluminium Oxide (Hydroxide?..have a book somewere
where I can look it up..). So this Alum can also harden a gelatin
emulsion I presume, but can it also prevent digestion by micro-organisms?
(and be an alternative for Glyxol or Formaldehyde (which is obviously
forbidden, although we have quite a few big containers in the lab for
other purposes...) hardening of sized papers. I suppose not, I think that
introducing salts in paper for gum etc. is not a good idea..

Cor Breukel

http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/cor.html
"The Infrared Gallery"
http://ruly70.medfac.leidenuniv.nl/~cor/ir-gallery.html