Re: Hardening

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:20:34 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> > I think that introducing salts in paper for gum etc. is not a good idea..
>
> This has been discussed before and mentioned again recently. Since we wash and
> wash and wash our prints, the alum will get washed out too, so it is ok
> (unless your process doesn't require a wash after exposure).

Dave, there seems to be some disagreement on this, although I don't know
how you *prove* it one way or the other. But in several reference works
I've seen the warning that alum used in sizing or "clearing" gum could
ultimately deteriorate the pigment. Possibly the longevity of Chinese
scrolls where it was used disprove this -- although some of them, come to
think of it, have gotten quite brown...???

Judy