Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

John Rudiak (wizard@laplaza.org)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:41:03 -0700

Michael, I would have to agree- especially when the medium is platinum, I doubt
whether the viewer could tell the difference if the print was made from a negative
produced by a $350 12" Commercial Ektar or a $1500 Apo Symmar. Silver prints and
color trannies, yes, for sure. Platinum prints? Doubtful. Also the $350 Ektar will
still be worth at least that amount when you go to upgrade.
    My 8X10 Deardorf and 7X17 Korona lack front swings, but outside the studio I find
the back movements sufficient for 98% of the photographs I wish to make.
    Get into the large format deal with what you can afford, you can always sell it
off for what you paid for it if you buy smartly, should you decide you need to
upgrade.

John
www.johnrudiak.com