Re: Sad News

Richard Lahrson (tripspud@hooked.net)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 17:20:30 -0800

Hi,

> To my surprise, I found that Sommer was NOT in Beaumont Newhall's "The
> History of Photography," or not the 1978 edition. Yet I see so clearly his
> bas relief chicken (from where?, I wonder). Naomi Rosenblum's "World
> History of Photography" reproduces one Sommer, "The Giant," a collage of
> found objects (not one of his best known, I believe).

     I believe the Goerge Eastman House in Rochester has a good collection
of Somner's prints. When I was at RIT, the library had a few photo books
of his work.

> The sad, very sad, news is, as noted yesterday, US culture & US media are
> so debased they spend all newsprint and airwaves obsessing about imperial
> sex. I was certain the obit would be in today's NY Times. It isn't.

     US culture suffers from isolationism in many areas. I grew up, partially
in Europe, which tends or tries at least to have a more comprehensive
world view of the news. There are alternatives, like public radio or
some of the TV foreign news from Germany and England on public TV.

                                        Rich Lahrson
        ` tripspud@hooked.net