Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 08:36:50 -0800

Subject: Re: Quasi "alt" question re:8x10 cameras

>Yes, that is *supposedly* true. Charis has been quoted as saying that
>in at least one place, and he may have even said it in the Daybooks
>(my memory is not what it once was, too!). It obviously raises many
>issues: what else might he have seen & photographed? having seen and
>photographed other things, would he have stopped at charis' choices?
>Whose images are they, then? Etc., etc.

I don't think that because somebody says, "Hey, look over there!" It
becomes their picture and not the person who sets up, chooses a film, lens,
composition; and makes the negative, then the print.

The question of 'choices' my dear friend, becomes the thesis of the 1952
nobel prize. (Was that Sartre's year?)

Whenwe consider what's 'in you' to attract your attention and what's 'for
you' to attract your attention; and we consider someone whom we love it
becomes a question as to what we think of as love as to what part of us is
we or them.

SS

Claris even claimed she wrote his notes.