Is it archival?

SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:29:47 -0500 (EST)

Let me put on my other hat. As an archivist I must say that the term "archival"
does not have a good definition. It is often loosly used by people who
manufacture "archival" materials. Several years ago I attended a workshop
for archivists on the care and preservation of 19th century photographs. What
I learned was that humidity was the most important factor (20-40% prefered).
Next was temperature. Some museums and archives have resorted to freezing
images.

I think we can agree that a properly fixed, washed and toned fiber-based
silver-gelatin print should have a lifetime of 200-300 years (maybe more).
If you want ultimate permanence then you print platinum on a 100% rag
paper.

The big question seems to be color prints. Currently, archivists generally
accept that ordinary color prints start to show noticable fading after 25 years
if kept in the dark. Likewise, Kodachrome is accepted as the most stable
color image if stored in the dark and not projected. Ektachrome holds up
better than Kodachrome under projection so the current idea is to store the
Kodachrome slides in the dark under low humidity and make copies on Ektachrome
for projection.

However, companies that make Ilfochrome prints will tell you that a
Ilfochrome print which is laminated with UV absorbing plastic will have a
guarrenteed lifetime of 200 years. (I tell my customers, "If the print
fades after 200 years, bring it back and I will give you a new one.") ;-)

Recently, the photofinisher that I use for my work for the college told me
that their prints should last 100 years. They also have a copy machine
which is really a computer, scanner, dye sub printer. When I asked about
the stability of the dyes again I was told that the company claims 100 years.
I don't really believe this and am tempted to try some tests with UV light.

Of course, archivists know that light is an important factor. When exhibiting
photographs, low wattage incandescent lights are recommended. I see a lot
of halogen lights being used in galleries as well as flourescent lights.
Both of these are bad news in terms of the UV output. I had UV filters
put on the FL bulbs in our archives, the rare book room and the museum.

I am sure that the stability of the dyes used in modern color prints has
greatly improved in the last several years but I am unable to obtain
verifable information about this. If there is an expert on the list who
knows about this or if anyone knows of a scientic report on the stability
of modern color prints, I would greatly appreciate the information.

I agree we are going to have a future photograph "gap." Color photography
began to be used for general photography in 1960 or there about. Many 1960,
1970 and 1980 prints are badly faded. One the other hand, I have some negatives
and Kodachrome slides from the 50s and 60s which are still in pretty good
shape (dark stored). I also have some Kodachrome slides from the same
period that are badly faded even though stored under the same conditions.
I also have some Cibachrome (Now called Ilfocrome) prints that are in good
shape that I made about 20 years ago.

There is, by the way, a similar problem with books. Many books which were
printed in mid century were printed on cheap paper and are gradually
falling to pieces. It is awfully expensive to reprint them so no doubt
many will be lost. And then there is magnetic media, but we won't get
into that.

Finally, for those who do not already know, watch out for PVC plastic
photo pages. PVC deteriorates rather quickly and emits HCl fumes.
Also those old black page photo album pages test around pH 2 ! Be careful
where you store prints, slides and negatives. Wood cabinets and shelves emit
harmfull fumes. Watch out for newly painted rooms or newly carpeted areas.

Now taking off my archivists hat and putting on my fine art photographers
hat (would that be a beret?)

Perhaps it will be we alternative process photographers who will save
photographic images for mankind with our platinum and carbon prints. Just
think, we will no longer be ignored. People will be falling all over each
other just to give us tons of money to save their valuable images!

Bob Schramm