Re: Is it archival

phillip murphy (dag39@goplay.com)
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 11:34:08 -0800

Andy Darlow <andy@andydarlow.com> wrote on Monday February 1, 1999 at
10:40pm:
>Speaking of archival issues, does anyone have a fairly simple and
affordable
>method of protecting negs, chromes and prints from the dreaded f
word(fire),
>without compromising the inherent film bases and various types of
prints.

>I recently read about Ansel Adams's loss of many negatives from fire
many years
>ago (in a View Camera article), and it got me wondering about the
subject.
>Maybe a fire proof safe is the answer. Any input would be greatly
appreciated.

I remember reading years ago of a fire that gutted
a color lab in Oakland. Their business was custom
printing fine work ; many prints and negatives were lost.
While investigating the aftermath, it was discovered
that there stood the charred remains of an old
refrigerator that someone had been using to store prints
and negatives (it was unplugged).
The contents of the old refrigerator were unharmed,
neither heat nor water damage.

Might be worth picking up an old fridge off the street.

It's what I keep all of my chemicals in.

-Phillip Murphy
dag39@goplay.com

| http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play! |