Re: Pyro & Ag negs

Brian Ellis (beellis@gte.net)
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 21:17:34 -0500

Hi Liam - I've been following the pyro discussion with interest. I've never
tried pyro, in large part because I devoted quite a lot of time and effort to
testing T Max 100 and HP5+ in 120 and 4x5 formats in D 76 1-1 that I haven't
wanted to have to go through that again (I hate testing). However, I've always
had a problem when printing sky and clouds. The negative can look great, the
contact sheet can look great, but as soon as I enlarge even to 8x10 the clouds
and sky disappear into almost blank white and I end up having to do a lot of
burning in to bring them back to anything like what the contact sheet looked
like. So, my question (which I hope isn't too stupid) is whether you think pyro
might be of some help with this problem. I ask it partly because I remember
reading an article by Gordon Hutchings in "View Camera" a few years ago, in
which I believe he said that he first became interested in pyro because of some
wonderful cloud effects that he was able to get with no other developer. Anyhow,
if you have any thoughts on this I'd like to hear them. Thanks. Brian