modern standard sheet film holder for daguerreotypes

phillip murphy (dag39@goplay.com)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 18:24:51 -0800

Hello all,

I'am very interested in daguerreotype process. A question. It is possible to convert a modern standar sheet film holder for daguerreotypes? Any idea?. Thank you
Teresa Consuegra
Spain

hello Teresa,

     Best to find earlier wooden plate holders for this.
Wooden film holders can be used with slight modification.
The metal gap where the film slides on either side of the
holder must be widened to allow for the metal plate.

The modern plastic film holder usually has a bevel in the
front that acts as a light trap. Dag plates will not bend
like film does to enter the holder. Perhaps a machinist
could eliminate the bevel without losing the integrity
of the light trap. Not an easy solution.

Another option would be to find Graflex pack film holders.
These can be had cheap since they were plentiful at
one time and are now in disuse. I have a number of them
that I use for Daguerreotypes. I use black foam-core board
to fill the space where the packfilm casette would have
rested thus pressing the 4x5 inch plate into position.

all the best,
Phillip Murphy
dag39@goplay.com

| http://www.goplay.com - it's time to Go Play! |