Re: Kodak R-21?

Liam Lawless (lawless@vignette.freeserve.co.uk)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:42:43 +0000

Hi Peter,

Not as far as I know, but dichromate dish cleaner is essentially the same
thing and you might have more joy finding that. Here in the UK, Silverprint
lists "Speedibrew's Speedicleaner" which, from its catalogue description,
sounds like pot. dichromate and sod. bisulphate (a solid alternative to
sulphuric), and I'm sure it would work. You'd have to experiment to find a
suitable dilution.

As well as substituting sod. bisulphate for the sulphuric, another
alternative bleach is 50g pot. permanganate + 50ml conc. sulphuric in 1
litre, for dilution 1+9, and the clearing solution for this bleach is 50g
sod. or pot. metabisulphite in 1 litre. Probably other bleaches would also
work (e.g. copper sulphate + sod. chloride + sulphuric), though I haven't
tried them. I prefer the dichromate version to the permanganate.

If it's the sulphuric that puts you off, replace the 50ml with 50g of sod.
bisulphate (also very corrosive, but not quite so vicious). The resulting
bleach should still be diluted 1+9, but you'll find its capacity much lower.
Another suggestion is to use 500ml of 10% sulphuric instead of 50ml of conc.

Several afterthoughts and corrections to my original article coming up in
Post-Factory #3, but the most important of these is to give a first
development of 5 minutes, not the 3.5 minutes that I thought was a good idea
at the time. Also, clearing should be timed at 2 minutes 15 seconds.

Best wishes,

Liam