Print Edges

Jim Boyd (boydj@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:49:04 -0500

I'm a relative newcomer to the list, having left the list for about
three years. My primary interests are Gum BiChromate printing with
special attention to aesthetic and technical techniques, specifically
literal/abstract interpretations through selection of pigment type and
color or by brush/rinse manipulation in the final print development.

I have a question that has always puzzled me, and that is; what is the
conventional thinking or opinion regarding print edges? I've seen
professional prints that show the pigment brushstroke in the border as
if the paper were not completely sized and had penetrated the paper
fibre. Some of the illustrations in books show this. I have always
been told to concentrate on clean edges. I probably have oversized my
paper because I've noticed how stiff it is, but it does hold up very
well for four exposures and development.

Jim Boyd