Re: Exhibition of alt imagery

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:22:45 -0500

Peter Marshall wrote:
> One the projects I've never quite got round to is to set up a site which
> includes both the kind of technical information and discussion that we get
> in this list together with illustrations and examples. I think this would
> be so much better than a print publication, firstly in allowing better
> quality and colour in the illustrations, but perhaps most importantly in
> that it could be amended and added to.
>
> Not to mention that it would be more or less instantly available and free
> to use. ...

Peter,

You better believe it! If I read one more post saying "you can find out
how it's done by reading Post-Factory", I'll just puke. (No offense to
Judy S. as she has done a good job of putting together an informative
journal, albeit targeted mainly for the gum process.) The thing is -
answers should be provided for all to digest in this forum of easy
access and free to use. Don't just reference some journal or document,
provide the information, and more.

What's the matter with divulging the nuts and bolts of how we do things
(alt-photo that is). I've put a fairly complete guide to Pt/Pd printing
on my web site and have kept tract of those getting into the meaty
sections. I've had a lot of visitors, but wouldn't you guess, not any
who have published work or reside in academia. One would think there
would be an interest. I've certainly checked out a lot of web sites.
You can add my link below to your list of informative sites.

Anyway, the point is this forum (alt-photo list) is a great vehicle to
do what you've suggested. A web site for detailed, illustrated info on
the alt-photo issues would be great. I could envision this site to have
many links to all kinds of sources of alt-photo info. It would be nice
to have a banner that the links could place on their page to get to the
main alt-photo linking page. I would expect one of the links to go to
the Post-Factory journals. I would expect detailed answers to many of
the inquiries on this list to become a linked page. I would expect on
going interactive research to take place at a site. I would expect the
archives to be better organized at a site.

We're beyond the social novelty of this list, we're ready to get down.
As we seem to do quite well with the technology of alt-photo processes,
let's make this technology work for us. Having a good, informative,
accessible, pertinent, and organized site should not only provide us
with the help we search out from time to time, but will free up more of
our time for our art.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/