Re: Web vs print (was exhibition alt imagery)

Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:04:25 -0500

Judy Seigel wrote:
> My own experience is that, although the list is a PRICELESS resource, Web
> pages are uneven. There is much MIS-information. The great beauty (or one
> of them) of The List is that it's interactive, that is, error is almost
> certainly corrected, or a warp modified, sooner probably than later. I've
> found absolute HOWLERS on web pages, and how is the tyro to know? (Until
> I get an e-mail from them saying "I read so and so on a Web page,
> and....)."
> It's possible that the Web site isn't the most efficient source of
> information, which perhaps is sensed by "academics." ...
> Perhaps I speak from my own limitations, but I find it a TREMENDOUS
> effort, at times nearly full time, to do the interactive one-on-one
> editing and organizing required to make a limited amount of material
> coherent, relevant and accessible -- and I have some 20 years' experience
> as an editor.

There was a time long, long ago that I worked as a physicist researching
photvoltaic devices. During this time I had published several papers
(mostly in scientific journals). Most of the journals would review
submitted abstracts and even the papers to check on authenticity and
credibility. Certainly a review process could be employed for a
alt-photo web site. Perhaps in a way similar to the quasi review team
currently being put together by Gordon.

I firmly believe that an alt-photo web site would not only provide a
welcomed valuable source of information exchange for list participants,
it will provide a source of "cutting edge" and "hands on" information
for others. For example, a museum curator could research information on
Cyanotypes from those who actually make them, having documented their
real life experiences. This seems so critical to highly specialized
activities such as those of alt-photo.

And, I just have to add one of my favorite clichés, this one recently
directed to me from Luis Nadeau:
> "What are your references in this field? I don't remember ever seeing your
> name in the conservation literature."
Well, let's just get education to the state envisioned by Thomas
Jefferson. Specifically, one learns for the joy of learning; not for a
degree - one teaches for the joy of teaching; not for a job. One
certainly doesn't need a degree or some other false credential to pass
on their knowledge to another. And, one certainly doesn't have the time
to reinvent the wheel when they can pick up where someone else has taken
them.

Review by one's peers, not for content, but for credibility and
authenticity could certainly address the "HOWLERS".

Additionally, such a site would benefit from a good web site layout
designer/editor. As you have indicated, web sites do need to be
carefully designed. The mechanics, although similar to traditional
publishing, do have many differences. However, in no way is a web site
be unable to compete with the best of publications. (I wonder how many
newspapers and magazines will transfer to electronic media totally, and
when. And, which ones won't.) This sort of brings me to another issue
-

> But meanwhile, why, I wonder, do folks keep writing and buying photography
> books? Merely habit? An anachronism? The chicken still running around
> doesn't know its head has been cut off? I see more of them listed in the
> catalogs now than ever before....

And why do photography books keep being written? I would venture that
most are made to make a buck, and a few are because of a desire to get
the information out. Getting the information out seems much more
efficient, reliable, disseminated if published on the web. More and
more people are gaining access to the web. And even today more people
are searching the web then the total editions of many books. And as for
those interested in making a buck, I certainly don't need to waste my
time with them. As I mentioned some time ago on this list, I don't
change my work in response to criticism and advice unless I see it
demonstrated in the work of those giving it.

And Judy,
I'm delighted as to your reminder that The World Journal of Post-Factory
Photography covers much more than the Gum process. I just wish I had
the funds to purchase every journal, magazine, or book that had
pertinent information. This is just another reason I would like to see
these things on the web.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/