Re: Alt and The government

Poors (rpmpoor@bcpl.net)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:37:10 -0500

Domenick Mirando wrote:

> >I must also point out that if you are earning a living from ALT
> >photography, you become far more responsible for insuring that you
> work
> >cleanly and safely. There is a world of difference between what
> various
> >government bodies can do to the dabbler / amateur Vs the
> Professional.
>
> Absolutely....but why stop there...I mean even if one doesn't sell
> anything
> one could still produce a lot of waste product.
>
> I for one would feel really bad (and probably face criminal action),
> if
> my neighbors well got polluted because of my dichromate waste.
>
> My studio is in the cellar where I have a sump pump that empties a
> large
> plastic bucket of non-silver waste outside.
>
> I wonder if it is possible to make a simple, realtime, dichromate
> filter
> which at least changes the yellow to green, or better?
>
> What about a 10' P.V.C. pipe, capped and filled with a mixture of
> sodium
> sulfite (?) or whatever, along with the proper spacing material so it
> doesn't
> clog? Waste water could enter one end and leave at the other.
> (Possible?)
> Or would the neutralizing chemicals be washed away with the soup
> making a
> holding tank of some sort necessary?
>
> Any ideas?...Is this feasable?... Am I dreaming?
>
> ---Dom
Did not see the lead to this topic but:

Chromium like a lot of other heavy metals...such as silver, copper, etc
...can fairly easily [and with very simple equipment] be electroplated
out of solution and sold or more easily disposed of through means such
as public haz mat disposal programs...I am sure someone out there is
doing mixed metals plating out -- bob