Re: Toning Cyanotypes

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:18:55 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 SCHRAMMR@WLSVAX.WVNET.EDU wrote:
>... There are two
> that are worth trying. One can be found in the chapter on cyanotype in
> "Keepers of Light." Upon request, I will post the formula to the list. This
> toner converts the image to a purple-brown tone. Very pretty. The second was
> invented/discovered by Judy Seigel and hence, I call it Seigel-toning. It
> is sort of tricky, but can produce wonderful split tones of blue-grey, browns
> and violets depending on how it is handled. If Judy will give me permission,
> I will likewise post this proceedure.

Sure Bob, post away.... I'm honored. But lest I be given more credit than
is due (never rains but it pours !) I note that the method began with a
standard 2-part tannic acid toner from some source or other... My
contribution was finding that it worked much better when greatly diluted.

In fact, I couldn't make the Tannic Acid toner in Keepers of Light work at
all -- that's the same ingredients, but many times stronger. Crawford
warned against it himself, saying it turned prints yellow. Maybe that was
from being so strong -- we never saw yellow on any toned cyanotype.

I'll add that the "split toning" effect was brought to a high level by my
students, who set up the trays and noodled and toodled with it while I
attended elsewhere. We also found (from other formulas in print) that it
didn't have to be sodium carbonate. Other alkalis, like ammonia
(household), and sodium hydroxide, were also fine. But the sodium
carbonate was easy & available, & we generally stayed with that.

Mostly you did have to strongly overprint a cyanotype for the tannic acid
toning, which costs density. But on some papers & some printing styles it
didn't seem to matter. Sorry I don't have a record of those... as ever, in
any event, you have to try your own combo with your own water & karma.

But I must here call attention to Luis's posts about toned cyanotypes that
faded. That does give me pause. ;- ( I haven't seen it myself, but I
haven't been paying all that much attention...

Judy