Re: Toning Cyanotypes

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:49 +0000 (GMT)

Bob

looked in one of my print folders because I knew I had a couple of 'toned'
cyanotypes, but neither has any notes on the back and I made them around
10 years ago.

One has a sort of a mauve or lilac tint, which I applied only to the left
side of the image, but I'm sure I never used any tannic acid... I suspect
this was probably treated with a buffered very weakly alkaline solution,
then thoroughly washed.

The second is a bit of a cheat as it is a cyanotype applied partially
(parts of the negative having being masked with opaque) over the pale
brown image derived from a cyanotype by treatment in weak alkali. I think
I had overprinted the first coat.

To my surprise, neither appears faded. Neither is a very good image
either, but there are some things age won't improve.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/