Re: William Mortensen

Richard Lahrson (tripspud@hooked.net)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:52:54 -0800

Judy Seigel wrote:
 show Mortensen's photos and/or the ad for his workshops, which is a
> naked babe wrapped in cellophane, "for the retired businessman" (I am NOT
> making this up). But permit me to mention in passing -- nostalgia to the
> contrary notwithstanding -- he was an ATROCIOUS photographer. Some of
> those "portraits" were UNINTENTIONALLY hilarious. "The Spanish Girl," or a
> title like that, only the worst of those that float into the mind's eye.
>
> It is claimed that Edward Weston based his methods on Mortensen's -- maybe
> so. But for sure not his esthetic. (Of course if I had to choose between
> the two oeuvres I'd be in trouble... but I guess that's another article.)

Hello everyone!

     The one image of Mortensen's that I can remember is "The Two Ways of
Life" or some such title. A pretentious and staged feat with the most
common morality.

     Edward Weston's very early images reflected the then fashionable
pictorialists.

                                                Rich Lahrson
                                                tripspud@hooked.net