Re: William Mortensen

Curtis Fant (c392578@showme.missouri.edu)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:08:17 -0600

Judy,

thanks for the reply. I am aware and have a few of Mortensen's books.
Command to Look, Monsters and Maddonas, The Neagive, Pictorial Lighting,
Flash in Modern photography. I also have copies of all the articles he
wrote for Pop. photography.

.... I myself am soooo interested to learn that the vaunted book got
> a poor reception. That makes it more interesting, wouldn't you say ? Definately, since you refer to Mortensen as an ATROCIOUS photographer he still must be a very interesting topic. I am not defending him, but it seems that everytime his name comes to light he is judged bad on subject matter.

The book had poor reproductions and were mis-informative of even what
the center has on him. Why questions Dillons essay? She states, " I
will argue below that the collaborative dynamic between Mortensen and
Dunham pivoted around several related phenomena: the homoerotic
connotations of male collaboration; the ready surrogancy of one partner
for another in a variety of situations; the operation of narcaissism....

Before condeming his photography as atrocious, it might be useful to
note that his litmus test for any photograph(Mortensen's) was approval
from the viewer. So bad taste? maybe, but many people did want to view
and like his photographs. Picture-pictorialism-I am finding more and
more, even from the 1800's that used the same test for the work they
did.

Thanks for the reply,

Curtis Fant