Re: Sulfuric acid

jewelia (jewelia@erols.com)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 06:46:06 -0800

good morning to you keith! was good to meet you and i have been meaning to
follow up on our previous prelist conversation from a while back-- but have
been doing a major remodeling job of my studio -- to prepare for a
productive future that has slowed me down at present. i figure SPE is
keeping some people busy there anyway until march. was hoping to go myself
to SPE but have too much cookin' on my plate and need to save something of
myself for next summer--i will be all over--look out world!

 i used to get stuff like this acid at the local university as, i think it
was jack recommended, but thought i would just note that i decided not to do
this anymore--the world/culture has changed much in recent years and it is
too easy to get a good meaning person in trouble in these days of tight
fiscal controls by asking for about 25 cents worth of acid. the same has
happened in regards to how i make my slides--using the slide copier at the
local u.--the one i have used in the past on those rare occassions--is now
too much of a hassle--different people abound in institutions these days it
seems--so one of my remodeling projects is to build my own slide copy
stand--buying one can be despairing--i mean how much should you have to pay
for a pipe--oh i mean column and a couple of lights??? and how much
platinum could i buy with that (not very much really--but i least i could
make new art with it). ain't the tradeoffs in the world "interesting"
including those you have to face trying to put out a book--many factors of
life restrain what we do and ultimately we have to do our best and be as
content as possible?

for those others interested in nitric--buying it up to 70% conc. is not a
problem--you have to pay an extra haz mat fee of $10 or so --but that i can
live with. graphic chemical (printmaking supplier in chicago sells 60% and
will sell the pure thing--but warns you this will cost because it can't be
shipped ups. spectrum chemical (wholesale only) sells various conc. up to
pure with the same restrictions. most of you can't buy from them
direct--but your favorite photo chem dealer can--B&S and the like. so if
you need it bad enough--you can get it--i, myself, just shudder at the
expense--anyway--better living through chemistry!!! --jewelia