Re: Web vs print (was exhibition alt imagery)

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:17 +0000 (GMT)

> Since you raise the point: following your many screensfull of
> "corrections" to Issue #1 of Post-Factory, which arrived here almost
> before the ink was dry, you wrote: "Your reasons for not putting it on
> the Web are so amusingly wrong-headed -- it would be so much better on
> the
> Web". And since your "corrections" seemed (to me at least) nit-picky, if
> not questionable and/or obscure, I found myself underwhelmed.

First you accuse me of consistency - to which I readily plead guilty.

The second 'offence' is part of that well-known conjugation:

        I make reasoned and justified comments
        He nitpicks.

The idea that a print publication on an irregular and fairly infrequent
basis can make corrections at the same speed as one can on a web site is
so laughably ridiculous as to be totally beyond rational discussion.

It takes me at most 5 minutes to correct a simple mistake on one of my web
sites. Load the local file into the editor, type in correction, load the
ftp program, log in, drag the file across and its done.

This was my immediate response to you on receiving PF#1:

>Thanks for the most impressive issue received today - really a very
>substantial looking issue. ..
>
>Haven't read everything closely yet (I will) but it looks very good.

It's a response which I have never faltered from, praising it both on the
list and elsewhere. As you state I did spend some time in reading and
suggesting improvements to PF#1 - as well as fully stating both privately
and in public my support and admiration of your efforts in producing it.
At the time of course you did ask me if I would contribute an article
following up some of the suggestions I made, but due to pressure of time I
had to refuse.

However, all this is water under the bridge and I only reply because of
the slighting and accusatory way in which you brought it up. Nothing that
I've suggested in this thread is designed at preventing you from
continuing to produce a fine magazine. However the fact that you are
producing it shouldn't stop others who feel that a proper on-line resource
is the way forward. I don't understand the negativism that has come from
one or two people over the suggestions of showing work and producing a
good on-line resource.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/