Re: Web vs print (was exhibition alt imagery)

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:17 +0000 (GMT)

Gerard

I think that we should try to discuss things sensibly and without undue
emotion on the list. I think there are issues that are worth discussing
and if we can improve things we should do so. However, just because I
think we should do things on-line doesn't mean there isn't a place for
printed publication also.

The real alternative in the discussion - from which you have taken a small
piece- is either you have it on screen or you have nothing, or perhaps a
black and white version in print that lacks even the slight taste of apple
that MacDonalds may hint at (though I'm fortunately unable to speak from
personal experience on that front, though I have followed the McLibel
trial here with some interest - mainly on the web.) Perhaps I might also
comment that many home-made apple pies fall somewhat short of the ideal -
my stepmother's should certainly have carried a Government health warning!

If you go and look at some of the sites on the web - assuming you have a
decent size good quality monitor using 24bit (or 32bit) colour - you will
find that there is plenty that is worth looking at. I don't put it forward
as the real thing, but it is certainly better than nothing. There are even
some photographers whose work looks better on the web than in the
original.

Judy suggest that download times are long. Increasingly we are getting
faster net connections, and this is another factor that is leading to
increased interest and use of high-quality images on the web. When I
started reading the list I was using a 2400bps modem, now I use 33.3Kbs or
a 64Kb line - 25 times as fast - and shortly that will go to 2Mbs.

I run an online magazine at the moment, which also has a print version.
The difference in image quality is immense, as is the cost. The print
version costs roughly 60p per copy; the cost of the online version is zero
(both excluding my time). The print version is very handy, but most of the
readers with net access (and thousands of others) log on to view the
pictures and they would be crazy not to.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/