Re: scanning negatives

Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 21:44 +0000 (GMT)

> I was using a standard flatbed (I thought it would probably not work
> before I did it and was just curious). I would think a scanner used
> for scanning transparencies would work fine for negatives but have
> never tried it.

There is some great information on scanning negs free on the web, and in
particular I'd recommend Wayne Fulton's http://www.scantips.com - very
good.

Some slide scanners work fine for negs, but only for those that are
reasonably accurately exposed. You need a greater range to cope with negs
as these can have quite a range of densities, and also you have to
process the image to remove the mask. Some hardware and some software
doesn't cope too well. The best site for slide scanners is run by a UK
photographer I'm in regular contact with - http://www.halftone.co.uk
Tony Sleep - online portfolio & exhibit + film scanner info & comparisons.

This - and some of the links there - will tell you all there is to know
from experts in the field.

Peter Marshall

On Fixing Shadows and elsewhere:
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~ds8s
Family Pictures, German Indications, London demonstrations &
The Buildings of London etc: http://www.spelthorne.ac.uk/pm/