Re: jewelia just loves paper!

Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:51:56 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Keith Schreiber wrote:

> Have you ever tried using a strip of Plexiglas as long as the long edge of
> your paper? The wet paper sticks to it and distributes the stress along the
> entire edge instead of just the corners. Just light pressure on the ends as
> you lift it from the tray. I've done this with prints of about 35 inches
> long on thin paper. Works great.

I haven't tried that... how wide is the plexi? Do you put it under the
paper?

Meanwhile, I've come to conclusion that weak paper for a BIG print is
foolhardy, and have taken a pledge to use only heavy paper when the print
will be on a big sheet, among other reasons because re-register is almost
impossible (for me) unless it's fastened down if the paper is thin & the
print big...

But that trick with the plexi sounds pretty neat generally. Are you
picking it up with your hands...? But that would mean getting gloves on,
if the hands are a bit wet, another tangle... (I can't put bare hands in
di-water for a second.) And if the gloves are ON, I pick the paper up
with one hand at each end, which puts half the weight at each point, & not
a problem...

But I'm thinking about the plexi strip for sizing, which is such a gooey
mess... wonder if it could do something there...

I have by the way used the fiberglas screening that Jewelia describes,
which I called a "cradle." Was excellent for large silver gelatin prints
on thin paper, too, also for toning to get print off the flat tray bottom
where it liked to stick ... But when I got the texture imprinted on a
sheet of very well soaked Rives Bristol I decided to forego. I would
expect the same possibility with the low-wet-strength Rives Heavyweight.

Judy