Re: Re: Agfa Scala/Kodak T-Max Reversal

FotoDave@aol.com
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:07:24 -0500 (EST)

>> The same problem occurs
with 35mm slides, which I have used quite a bit to make enlarged negs. You
can get valid graphic effects but not necessarily full scale, rich positives,
at least in my hands.

Yes, and this is especially true if you want to use lith film because the
exposure range of lith film is shorter than camera negatives. However, I agree
that one does not have to use lith film for the enlarged negatives, of course.

>> I think a better solution is to shoot on regular 35mm, make a copy neg in
any
of the fine bellows/macro units available, which will allow cropping and
contrast adjustments, then use that "positive" to make an enlarged negative.

This is workable, but when one make a copy, there is some loss of sharpness,
so if the interpositive is 1:1 the original size, the loss of sharpness can
show in the final negative (and print). However, if one enlarge the
interpositive to 4x5, for example, then the loss of sharpness happens in the
grain level, so the final effect might not show at all (or at most, it would
be similar to the effect of using a soft-grain developer).

Dave S