Re: Printing Out Papers

joel lederer (lederer@netvision.net.il)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:37:30 +0200

Hi,
    Store bought POP is super fun and relatively easy. I used Centennial POP and
had a good time: here's what I did
1) Started with an enlarged negative of extreme contrast . A density range of 2.4
worked well
2 ) Printed in contact until the image is about a stop or so darker than I wanted
in the final print. Note that some self masking takes place here.
3) Wash in running water for twice as long as it takes for all "milkyness" to come
out of the paper (soak and dump works fine)
4) Tone in gold/ borax toner. 700cc water + 7 grams borax + 8 cc's of a 1%
solution gold chloride +wtm 1 litre.
5) rinse 3 or so minutes
6) Fix in 12% hypo + enough sodium carbonate to make alkaline (ph 8.5 or there
abouts)
7) repeat step 6
8) Rinse, Hypo- clear , and final wash of 30-60 minutes
9) Photo-Flo and hang to dry. (the emulsion is too soft for a squeegee)

    I found that the length of time and exhaustion of the toner (or maybe both) to
control the image colour. The toner changes dramatically after each print so
repeatability aint easy. One simple test is to make a print of an average looking
image (one which contains a selection of tones) and do a "toning test strip". Use
fresh toner and submerge the print in steps for 1,2,4,6,8 minutes. Fix , wash and
dry and you should have a rainbow of colours ranging from orange to red to purple
to blue.
    Perhaps toner exhaustion could be eliminated by using a fresh toner plus
glycerin brush toning procedure but I haven't tried that.
    I also used a gold + sodium thiocyanate toner and was able to get split tones
with it when it was near exhaustion - toning times were about a half an hour. I
tried a platinum toner and got a much lowered d-max and yellowish colour to the
print so I gave up (I assume it was too acid and thus reduced the image). But I
kept the picture anyway as an example of what's possible, maybe one day I'll have a
picture that looks good printed like that.

    In short, the paper is easy enough to use that more experimentation seems
called for.
Joel Lederer- Tel Aviv