Re: Workshops (was: newsletter information)

William Laven (wmlaven@platinotype.com)
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:37:32 -0800 (PST)

> As for tossing platinum prints in the trash, I have 2 thoughts.
>First, that you can learn a lot from your mistakes especially if you keep
>good notes. Maybe not right now but sometime in the future. So rather than
>toss 'em, why not make a few notes on the back and put 'em in a box. If
>nothing else, after you have mastered the process you can look back at
>them to see how far you've traveled. Second, take a workshop. There are
>at least 2 members of this list who regularly offer Pt/Pd workshops:
>Kerik Kouklis and Bill Laven. (And others who offer private instruction:
>John Rudiak, David Michael Kennedy.) This summer at Photographers'
>Formulary there are Pt/Pd workshops being taught by Dick Arentz (June
>13-18), Carl Weese (June 20-25 and June 22 - July 2), Pradip Malde and
>Roger Vail (July 11-16), and Riuijie Douglas (Aug 1-6). Each of these
>offers a different approach to the medium.

I want to thank Keith for pluggin my, Kerik's and the Photographer's
Formulary workshops and want to add that I offer no guarantee that you
won't have prints that you want to "trash" even during and after a
workshop.

Keith's idea is perfect. Keep them all, especially as a beginner and write
notes all over them. They'll be invaluable as lessons for the future. If
nothing else, a badly over- or under-exposed print will give you info on
what burning and dodging will look like. I often take my "bad" prints and
ponder them...hmmm, so that's what that area looks like if it gets 25% more
exposure, eh?

Also, if they offer no revelations, they are good practice prints for
spotting, toning, etc.

Most importantly, don't be discouraged by the steep learning curve. Its
natural and should aid rather than deter you.

Just imagine how we'd all feel if our film's midtone curve was as steep as
the learning curve often is when beginning a new process. Ahh, altphoto
heaven.

Best,
Bill

                           WILLIAM LAVEN PHOTOGRAPHY

   Workshops and tutorials in Platinum/Palladium printing and Zone System.

   1931 23rd Street, San Francisco, CA, 94107
   415-647-9432 (voice) 415-647-9438 (fax)
   wmlaven@platinotype.com
   http://www.platinotype.com