Re: re-photographing negatives

DanPhoto@aol.com
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:52:02 -0500 (EST)

> Has anyone tried "taking a picture" of a small negative on a light
> table with a large format camera. I realize that a very long bellows
> stretch would be necessary but I think that about 20 inches extension on
> a 4x5 would be okay for a 6x6 cm neg and maybe 35mm.

Remember, with bellows draw TWICE the focal length of the lens (16" of
bellows for an 8" lens) you get life-size on the film (along with two
stops of bellows compensation). As you can see, unless you are using a
very short lens (which generally won't perform well in such situations)
or have mammoth amounts of bellow, it's not practical to make enlarged
negatives with a camera.

I'm sending you off list the email address for a friend who lives in
Jerusalem and makes beautiful silver prints with random dot digital
negatives. It may or may not be an option for you, depending on your
digital prowess and equipment. It's nice to know that you have some
alternate methods locally, especially since you don't currently have
access to a darkroom!

Dan