negative puzzle

Chris Stone (cstone05@sprynet.com)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:59:23 -0500

I'm having a curious bit of difficulty and I'm hoping someone can suggest a solution--or at least give an explanation. I'm trying to enlarge a 4x5 negative to 8x10, going from negative to interpositive to enlarged negative. For some reason the light tubes in the variable contrast head are projecting very pronounced stripes on the lith negative. (I'm using full green for exposure.) I'm puzzled by this. There's a diffusion plate on the Aristo head, and I've never noticed this when making prints. The negative I'm trying to enlarge is fairly thin and also developed in D-23 rather than pyro, so perhaps this is significant? Any insights into what's going on would be much appreciated.
-- Matthew