RE: negative puzzle

Hal Faulkner (faulkner@redshift.com)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:58:20 -0800

Chris,

The unevenness of cold light heads is well known among us West Coast sorta
types. It can be reduced by trial and error placing a black piece of paper
behind the grid in the light head. Put a neg in the enlarger, focus at your
normal distance, remove the neg and expose a sheet of high contrast paper to
give middle gray and process. Put some black paper in, try again... Not
much fun is it? Other things that help, a thicker sheet of white plexi in
the lamp house, incantations, but don't get the wrong chant... Likely the
best solution is to switch to a dichroic color head, they use brighter bulbs
and light integrators and tend to be smoother.

Good luck.

Hal Faulkner

mailto:faulkner@redshift.com

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Chris Stone [mailto:cstone05@sprynet.com]
    Sent: Saturday, February 20, 1999 4:59 PM
    To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
    Subject: negative puzzle

    I'm having a curious bit of difficulty and I'm hoping someone can
suggest a solution--or at least give an explanation. I'm trying to enlarge a
4x5 negative to 8x10, going from negative to interpositive to enlarged
negative. For some reason the light tubes in the variable contrast head are
projecting very pronounced stripes on the lith negative. (I'm using full
green for exposure.) I'm puzzled by this. There's a diffusion plate on the
Aristo head, and I've never noticed this when making prints. The negative
I'm trying to enlarge is fairly thin and also developed in D-23 rather than
pyro, so perhaps this is significant? Any insights into what's going on
would be much appreciated.
    -- Matthew