Re: A modest proposal -- the imp. signature

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:38:56 -0700

At 12:00 PM 2/22/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Richard,
>Johnathan Swift would be proud of such a modest proposal. I for one, agree
>with you and will begin putting that practice into effect immediately. If
>we make a print for someone else, we should include our sig and imp. on the
>right side by deafault. Hmm, does this smack unionizing, solidarity, etc.
>or what?
>
>TTFN
>
>Michael

Michael,

I do think those of us who print the work should be credited. Alternative
photo methods for the most part are more craft oriented and therefore are
more likely to reveal the personal style of the printer than say ordinary
silver printing. This is not to say that silver printing is not a high
craft, it is, and I think everyone here agrees to that.

Back in the early 80's I printed the Harry Smith portfolio for the Stephen
White Gallery. Harry was a San Francisco Danish American amateur
photographer active in the early part of this century, there were some nice
quake pics in the portfolio as well as slice of life social scenes etc. I
signed all the prints as the Master Printer. It was felt that they needed a
signature since old Harry had been dead for about 20 years.

I am reminded of the Ansel Adams prints that I purchased at the Yosemite
Gallery in the mid 60's. Those were signed Ansel Adams. Later ones were
signed A. Adams and later on were only signed A.A. I paid $10.00 for mine
which had the full signature -- I have 3 or 4. Anyone know what they might
be worth today and were they printed by Adams himself? I know the later
ones were not.

--Dick Sullivan

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com