APIS 99 Update

Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:44:54 -0700

We still have some spaces left for APIS 99.

On tap and in no particular order:

Our own Sil Horwitz on Alt-photo safety. The thinking person's darkroom safety.

Galina Manikova on photo ceramics. Galina is coming from Norway. Galina is
probably the foremost photo ceramicist in the world.

Hans and Chia from Sweden. Still working on their grant to get here but it
looks
pretty good. Hans and Chia Nohlberg are a husband and wife team and if their
new work is anything like what they showed in Bath at APIS, they'll knock your
socks off. Ever seen a 20 x 24 Polaroid transfer? That and lots more. I also
like the ego free collaboration they do.

Lasse Marberg from Sweden. Full color copper gravure. I haven't seen them but I
hear their a real yikes.

Karl Koenig on Gumoil. Karl hails from Albuquerque, a small town south of here.
Karls gumoils are astounding. He has worked long and hard to revive this
process and even has a book on it.

Nancy Marshall from Atlanta GA. will do a session on alt photo education. We'll
convince Nancy to show some of her own work too. Yummy stuff.

Gene Laughter will host a double session on Bromoil. On tap will be many
bromoilists from England and the US. Of note will be a special presentation by
Maija McDougal, the doyenne of British bromoilsts. I am told not to bring
up the
subject of her age so I won't.

Katharine Thayer will present a session on gum. I am an old time gum
printer and
I can say that Katharine has really put her teeth into the process. There will
be lots to learn and see.

Maria Campos and Richard Davis, from England -- another wife and husband
collaboration team. They will discuss silver emulsion and show their work in
this medium.

Dan Burkholder from Dallas Texas on digital negatives. Dan is the foremost
authority on this topic and hopefully the 2nd edition of his book will be out
by then. <grin>

John Stevenson will do a session on the marketplace. I think John's main theme
will be if you want to sell your work, it is best to be dead a hundred years.
Oh well -- I told him to tell it like it is.

Terry King -- yeah that Terry -- will do a session on the Royal Photographic
Society, it's history and what it can do for you. No you don't have to be a
Brit to join!

Martin Becka from France will be bringing some of his compatriots from France
with him and will present a survey of current French Alt-photo.

There are still a couple of maybes on tap.

And last but not least will be our own Jewelia Margueritta Cameroon will be in
performance showing her own work. Please do not mistake this for an ordinary
presentation. You will learn how nuclear submarines de constructs into uranium
printing. I am sure Jewelia will reveal much to us. Surely not to be missed.
She is scheduled to end the first days sessions. Melody says no one should be
forced to follow her!

There will be a banquet at the Hotel Loretto at the plaza in Santa Fe. James
Enyeart will be the keynote speaker. Enyeart is the Anne and John Marion
Professor of Photography and Motion Pictures at the College of Santa Fe.
Enyeart was pirated away from his post as the head of George Eastman House to
head up the new Marion Center and the College of Santa Fe. I've asked him to
discuss his educational philosophy in terms of photography (he believes
students should know what an f-stop is!) and how he intends to meld the craft
tradition of the 19th Century with the digital technology of the 21st.

We will also be the guests at a reception at the brand new Marion Center on
Wednesday night. You have to see this place to believe it!

There will be an art walk on Friday eve. We will be hosted by several of the
photographic galleries here in Santa Fe.

It should be very educational and lots of fun for all.

Call or check out our web site for more information.

--Dick Sullivan

505-474-0890 FAX 505-474-2857
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com>http://www.bostick-sullivan.com
http://www.workingpictures.com