Re: X ray

Kevin O'Brien (kob@paradise.net.nz)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:13:16 +1300

I worked in an Xray dakroom one summer in my distant youth. The process was
done by using large tanks in which the films were suspended just like
regular sheet film.
The developer was highly caustic and it ruined shoes and stained clothes. My
guess is that a developer like Kodak D8 would be close to what was used. The
formula is:
    Water, abt 32º C (90º ) 750ml
    Sod sulphite anhy 90g
    Hydroquinone 45g
    Sod hydroxide 37.5g
    Pot bromide 30g
    Water to make 1.0 litre

Use 1:2, 2min in tray at 20º C. Short life mix just before use. (Stock
keeps 2mth in full bottle.)

Dektol may work full strength. If it fogs badly try adding some pot
bromide, up to 8g litre. A teaspoon more or less of sod hydroxide (caustic
soda - as in drain unlblocker) may be helpful too.

Kevin O'Brien